Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Nothing like the threat of sexual assault to keep yo ass movin'

This morning I'm at the gym (applause please! thank you!) puffing away on the treadmill. A young woman hops on the treadmill next to me. After a couple of minutes a staff member comes up, he's clearly her personal trainer. They chat a bit, I puff a lot. He cranks up the incline on her treadmill. She's climbing that hill for what seems like forever. She's starting to get puffed and struggling, his job is to encourage her: "Just 60 seconds to go!" - "You can do it!" - "Just imagine there's a creepy guy chasing you down a dark street! He's going to attack you! You can't stop running!"

Wait, hang on. WTF?!?!

Her response was muted by her gasping for breath, but I think she sort of laughed. I wasn't laughing. I was upset. Do I really need to be reminded of threat of sexual assault during my morning workout? And what about the chick?! Does this guy know her well enough to know that she's never been assaulted, or that her sister hasn't been, or whatever? Is the threat of sexual assault a valid personal training method?? Is it something that's ok to joke about?

What a crock.

I told some of my girlfriends, the resident gym junkie in my little possie seemed to think I was overreacting because women getting attacked by strangers is rare...rare I suppose compared to women getting attacked by men they know. Which is true.

But I still don't feel my upset was an overreaction. I told a few other people and they had the exact same response as me. Which felt good. Because I need validation of my opinions.

So I sent the gym a complaint. I figured it was kind of my responsibility to mention that I found the comment completely inappropriate in a professional setting, because other women who may be far more affected by that kind of thing than me might not be in a position to want to bring it up with management. And even not considering that, it upset me as a woman, and I don't usually keep my mouth shut when something bothers me :-D

I have had no response to my complaint as of yet. Now I am worried they think I'm some feminazi freak and that I'll get sniggers and snide looks next time I'm there. But I'm just going to have to believe in myself and be confident in my standing up for what I believe in. And who are we kidding, I am a feminazi freak :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment