Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I take it all back, intuitive eating is a joke

I used to believe in, and try to follow, intuitive eating. Partly for my health, and partly to try to counter the destructive effects of our food-obsessed culture. It worked really well for me because whenever I was hungry and looked deep down inside myself, and said "you can eat whatever you want" I would almost always crave something good for me - steamed fish and salad, vegetable curry on brown rice, an apple, a kiwifruit, celery sticks for fucks sake.

And then I got pregnant.

Now when I look deep inside myself and say "you can eat whatever you want", my body screams "Huge serving of wedges with sour cream!" or "CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS" or sometimes "White chocolate with almonds, STAT!".

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. You're allowed to get 'fat', my dear. You're pregnant! You won't turn into a whale by listening to what your body wants you to eat - but you will probably turn a bit more soft and cuddly with is probably exactly what baby wants!

    ReplyDelete